Course Selection Booklet for the 2019-2020 academic year
Directions for Course Selection
- In homeroom, you received one document listing the courses for your rising year with a course selection sheet on the back. You will not be given a copy of the Course Selection booklet; please access the booklet at the link above. It will also be emailed to all students and parents. If you lose your course selection sheet, you can purchase another from Mrs. Duggan for $1 (paper money only).
- Please read and follow the directions on your rising year (sophomore, junior, senior) course sheet very carefully. All information on the sheet must be filled out. Schedules cannot be processed without all of the appropriate information. Please do not write in the area noted for administrative use only.
- At the front of the Course Selection Booklet, you will find your credit and Regents examination requirements. You may take some time with your guidance counselor to review course selection and credit requirement details. Please review the requirements carefully and see your guidance counselor if you have any questions. Remember that you need to pass all of your present courses or make up the credit in summer school in order to advance into the next course. You must also pass any necessary Regents examinations, or you will be required to take them in summer school as well. Remember your requirements in each department. You must take four years of English and Social Studies, and three years of Math, Science, and the same Foreign Language.
- In each of your classes, your current teacher will help you to determine which course you should take next year. Advisement from teachers will take place during the class time decided by the teacher during one of the following dates: Tuesday, March 12, Wednesday, March 13 or Thursday, March 14, 2019. Guidance will work with our rising sophomores/current freshmen in an extended homeroom period to understand the process. Your teachers’ recommendation for your placement for next year will be based on how you are doing now. If you improve or decline academically, they will be able to change their recommendation for you for next year.
- You will automatically be placed in the required courses listed on your course selection sheet. For electives, you will be placed in courses depending on enrollment and course offerings. You are not guaranteed the elective course you want.
- Juniors/Rising Seniors: If you have completed three years of a Foreign Language, you must choose an elective. You must choose two alternate electives as well. List them in order of preference. (You may choose another foreign language as an elective if you wish.) Choosing alternates is important because, due to potential conflicts, you may not necessarily get your first choice.
- All Students: Remember to get your parent or guardian’s signature on your course selection sheet.
- Papers are to be returned to Mrs. Duggan no later than 8:30 am on Tuesday, March 19, 2019. Place the papers in the basket outside her office.
- Please see your guidance counselor or Mrs. Duggan if you have any questions.
- Remember: Your course selections will be processed in the order in which they are received. Submitting your course selection sheets late will delay the processing of your schedule for next year and you may be closed out of certain courses.
- If you do not intend to return to AMSU next year, even if you are not 100% sure but you are thinking about not returning, please see Sr. Jeannie immediately.