2017 VENERABLE PIERRE TOUSSAINT SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible for a 2017 Venerable Pierre Toussaint Scholarship Award, an applicant must:
- Be a member of a Roman Catholic Archdiocesan parish, active in parish/community affairs and submit a letter of recommendation from his/her Pastor or Parish priest;
- Be a graduating senior from a Catholic, private or public high school in the
Archdiocese (during the 2016-17 school year);
- Show high academic achievement/promise, supported by a transcript and letter
of recommendation from a teacher and/or guidance counselor;
- Submit a 2017 Pierre Toussaint Scholarship Application Form, by the
required deadline. (Application form may be obtained by contacting the Office of Black Ministry at (646) 794-2681 or via email at email@example.com);
- Submit an essay (typed) of approximately 300-500 words on one of the three topics that are listed on the application, and demonstrating your knowledge of the life of Venerable Pierre Toussaint. (Please note that Pierre Toussaint is NOT the same person as Toussaint L’Ouverture. Applicants who confuse this fact in their essays may have their essays deemed unacceptable.);
- Demonstrate good character and leadership abilities, both in school and in the
- Be available for a personal interview during the selection process should such an interview be deemed necessary by the committee.
The completed application form, together with transcript, letters of recommendation and essay, should be sent or delivered to the Office of Black Ministry at the following address: Archdiocese of New York Office of Black Ministry – 1011 First Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, New York 10022. The decision of the Office of Black Ministry Commission, upon recommendation of the OBM Education Committee, is final. Scholarship recipients will be notified of their awards during mid-spring and will receive them prior to the start of their fall semester in college. New awardees also will be notified of the date, in June, for the Scholars Retreat and a Mass with their families, at which ALL scholars are expected to be in attendance!
N.B. In order to receive the award, the candidate must ultimately be accepted to a college or
university and have taken the necessary steps toward enrollment.
APPLICATIONS FOR 2017 AWARDS MUST BE RECEIVED AT THE OFFICE OF BLACK MINISTRY OR BE POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2017.