For High School Students
Get a head start on your study of finance. The Gabelli School of Business introduces the Finance Institute, a new program geared toward high school students curious about the possibility of studying finance in their future. This program could put you significantly ahead.
- Meet finance industry professionals
- Learn finance fundamentals over the course of just a few weeks
Finance areas of focus:
- Overview: Economics, Historical Perspective, Introduction to Financial Markets
- Investments and Analysis: Stocks, Bonds, Investment Analysis Formulas
- Alternative Investments: Commodities, Foreign Exchange/Currency, Hedge Funds, Private Equity
- Investment and Risk Management: Derivatives, Asset Management/Asset Allocation, Risk Theories
- Ethics: Market Manipulation, Industry Infractions
- Current and Future Trends: Microfinance, Impact Investing
- Jim Gannon, Certified Financial Education Instructor (CFEI)
Who should attend?
- Any high school student interested in learning more about finance
- Any high school student curious about managing his or her own finances
Timeline and location
- Five days: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, July 5 to 13, 2017; 9:00am-12:00pm at Fordham’s Rose Hill campus (Bronx, NY)
- Summer registration will be available in early spring
- Registration requests received before April 1 will receive priority
- Note: This program does not carry academic credit and is not a substitute for FNBU 3221 or any other courses offered by Fordham University
- A $50 deposit is required when applying to the program
- The program cost is $750 total ($700 remaining after $50 deposit). The fee balance and signed program agreement form are due within one (1) week of notification of acceptance to the program.
- Summer program only: High school students who enroll in both the Finance Institute and The Ground Floor course will receive a $100 discount on the Finance Institute program fee. Details about The Ground Floor (an introductory business course taught as one of the pre-college course options in business administration) can be found here.
- A limited number of need-based discounts are available and can be requested via the standard application. Need-based discount applications must be submitted by October 14 for the fall program and by April 1 for the summer program.
- Program fee and deposit are fully refundable prior to October 14
- 80% refund will be issued between October 15 to 21, inclusive
- Program fee is non-refundable beginning on October 22
- Program fee and deposit are fully refundable prior to May 1
- 80% refund will be issued between May 1 and May 31, inclusive
- Program fee is non-refundable beginning June 1
- Email: email@example.com